ARS International (for Shaw E&I;)
Operation of the Field ISOCS Laboratory
Range Landfill, Fort Dix, NJ
Amount: $11 K
Background: The Range Landfill (RLF) The Range Landfill (RLF) comprises approximately 39 acres located in the northeastern portion of the Range and Impact Area of Fort Dix, in Ocean County, New Jersey. The RLF was reported to have been active from 1940 to approximately 1975 accepting various wastes reported to include rubble, refuse, old storage tanks, and miscellaneous metal debris. Potential radioactive materials of concern are Ra-226 because of its use in radioluminescent devices used in military applications, and Am-241 and Pu-239/240 due to the landfill’s proximity to the BOMARC Missile Site.
ARS International was contracted by Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure (E&I;) to perform an additional investigation to supplement the initial large area plastic scintillator (LAPS) survey. The investigation consisted of drive over scan surveys and static measurements with Field Instrument for the Detection of Low Energy Radiation detectors (FIDLER) and in-situ gamma spectroscopy using a collimated HPGe detector. Solutient Technologies provided input on project set up and initiation, and supplied technical expertise and personnel to establish and operate the In-Situ Object Counting System (ISOCS) field laboratory to support the project.
Scope of Work:
Major elements of the project completed by Solutient Technologies included:
- Accelerated the project initiation by mobilizing to the site within two weeks of the notice to proceed.
- Assessed the condition and functionality of the provided ISOCS instrumentation and made recommendations for properly establishing the mobile laboratory.
- Provided for the set up, stabilization and calibration of the ISOCS instrumentation at the beginning of the project.
- Prepared samples, operated the ISOCS instrumentation, managed the quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) program, and reported results on a daily basis to support the field operations teams.
- Prepared and presented the final analytical reports.
Solutient’s Senior Technician contributed to the successful completion of the project by integrating seamlessly with the prime contractor and optimizing the on-site laboratory work schedule to accommodate the field staff. The Shaw E&I; Project Manager was very pleased with the coordination and progress of the project despite the adverse field conditions.
Request Our Services
We understand the need to complete these types of projects safely and expeditiously to protect the health and safety of residents and workers in areas thought to be contaminated. Allow Solutient to assess your property and provide you with the tools to restore your peace of mind.